(Also, I have this image as a computer screensaver and for an iPhone wallpaper. If you want them shoot me an email and I’ll email them to you!)
I don’t know if you remember but last year I choose a word to focus on throughout the year. I set some of my goals for the year around my word to help me focus on it and I can honestly say that it was a great idea. My word for last year was ENJOY. With so much of my life changing I wanted to be able to enjoy the journey more and fully embrace all the opportunities that God had placed in my path. Looking back I can see that because I took more time to enjoy the journey I was able to see God’s hand in my everyday life. He is real and He is involved in so much more of your life than you ever thought possible. But, I was only able to see this when I was enjoying the moment and not focusing so much on the future.
So this year I choose the word TRUST. I want to put my trust in the Lord and His plan for me even when it’s not what I want. I know that when I put my trust in Him this year I will be able to look back and see that He truly has a plan for me and that everything worked out the way it was supposed to.
I want you to take a few minutes and think about something you need to work on and a word that embodies that and then take a day or two and pray about it. I know that as we set goals and strive to be better the Lord will help us become the person He wants us to be.
Share your word of the year below!
During the Summer I went with a friend to hear Al Fox Carraway speak and I just had to share some of my notes with you!
- You have to do your REAL TRY to experience real change.
- Choose. Choose the good or bad. CHOOSE GOOD!
- Change of mindset and perspective will change everything.
- Look for the good. You find what you are looking for.
- Trying your real try you will receive the best now. Those blessings aren’t just reserved for the eternities.
- Keep going. We are blessed for our efforts. And, if you keep going you will bless others.
- He will help you be happy now even during your struggles.
- Hard times will always be there but so will Christ.
- Go forth. Embrace the unexpected knowing who is leading you along.
- Don’t forget who’s hands your in.
- You matter. What you do matters.
- He hears you. But, He also has a lot of great things in store for you.
I hope that maybe there was something in my notes that you needed to hear.
Photo by Christy Wright Photography
Vest – Roolee
If you didn’t already know I love lists and so I couldn’t resist putting together a quick list of what I learned in high school…so here ya go!
- DO NOT compare yourself to others. I can’t empathize this enough. The only person you should be comparing yourself to is the person you were yesterday. Seriously, once I learned this my life changed.
- Stay far farrrr away from the drama. It is not worth it. Find people that are doing more with their lives then stirring up trouble and hating on others.
- Stop hating your classmates. If you come from a small school like me you probably understand how easy it is to really dislike some people that you have every. single. class. with. But, stop hating and start loving. Get to know them, be their friend. Again, stay away from the drama but learn to have fun with your classmates. It makes school more enjoyable ya know.
- Your grades ARE important! Do your homework, care about what you are doing.
- Be good to everyone! Teachers, staff, classmates, EVERYONE. The way you treat people is noticed. Be kind and respectful.
- Wear what makes YOU happy. If that means dressing up everyday then do it. Be you.
- Be soooo grateful for your free textbooks. (and free classes) Seriously.
- Put God 1st. Put God 1st. That means go to seminary!! Learn to study the scriptures and your life will be oh so blessed. The best thing you can do is spend time with God. Put Him first and the rest will fall into place!
- Put down your phone. Seriously. High School only happens once. Enjoy it.
- Be the light. Be an example for good. People notice.
- Don’t worry what people are thinking of you. People are so worried about that themselves. BE YOU.
- Be involved! Participate!
- Study for the ACT. I never studied, and although I got into the college I wanted if I would have studied I would have probably been eligible for more scholarships. STUDY!
- Take college classes if you can. I graduated with 29 hours from my local college. I didn’t like the idea of a bunch of blow off classes so I took college classes that counted. So if your able, do it! Because it was the best thing I ever did.
- BE KIND.
(photo credit: Christy Wright Photography)
- We can not judge people. It’s not our place and we do not understand what is really going on. Love people. Treat them with the kindness and respect that they deserve. It might be cool to talk about why so and so sucks but it’s really not! Love everyone and leave the judging up to Christ.
- People matter. Things don’t matter if you don’t have people there. Stop casing money and things and enjoy the people around you! We all look back at certain times & wish we would have spend more time with some certain people so be there now. Enjoy them now before it is too late. You’ll never regret spending time with those you love.
- Social media is not real life. What one person might see as the “perfect photo” is the same photo that took 100 times to get just right. Only the person that posted the picture knows the true feeling and meaning behind it. People often only post their best on social media…. so remember don’t judge your worst with someones best.
- The days are long and years are short. I can’t tell you how true this has become in the last few years, especially this year being my last year in high school. Embrace now! Love where you at in life right now because it really does fly by.
love you all and I can’t wait to get caught back up on the blog!
Hi friends! I keep trying to remember that only the things I make a priority are going to get done because of my crazy schedule. (Aka, I am going to reevaluate my priorities again and get back blogging!) But, here I am checking in to let you know that life is great and I am getting ready to graduate and begin a new chapter in my life which I am incredible excited about!
I got accepted to BYU and will begin summer semester. I am unsure of what I will be studying right now but hopefully after a little while I will have a general direction that I want to head into.
But anyway I just wanted to write 2 little messages of you all.
1. I just wanted to remind you all that although we may be scared of the unknown or fearful of change we don’t need to be. The Lord is right there with us. One of my favorite scriptures- Jeremiah 1:9 says,
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.
How great of a promise is that? He will be with us where ever we go! Change can be hard and scary sometimes but embrace it and go knowing the the Lord is with you. You will never be alone!
2.One thing that gets me through any day and helps remind me that I am never alone or forgotten is to find the tender mercies that our kind Heavenly Father has blessed me with. T h e y a r e t h e r e. Usually it’s the tiniest things like getting a letter in the mail, having a little bit of extra time to watch my favorite show on Netflix, or even seeing someone I know. I always write down the tender mercies of the Lord each night just like President Eyring does. And by the end of the night it can be hard to think back but seriously include in your morning prayers that you will be able to notice the tender mercies throughout your day because they really make my day better. I can honestly say that after I have started taking the time to notice and thank Him for blessing me I have a better day.
I know my thoughts are all jumbled and random but I really felt the need to share those two thoughts with you today!
I love the New Year almost as much as I love Christmas (which is a lot). Something about a fresh clean start at the beginning of a new year is SO refreshing. I love being able to refocus on what is truly important in my life and making sure I am on the right track to becoming what the Savior wants me to become. Here are a few things I do each year to help me set new goals and refocus.
Each year I add and take away from things on this list but I’ll list all so you can choose some to implement in your new years resolution setting.
+ Read this article by M. Russell Ballard about goals and the impact your thoughts really do have on your life. I stumbled upon it awhile ago and fell in love with it!
+ Get a new planner! Seriously I am one of those crazy planner girls who writes everything down and takes it everywhere! They have cheap (& cute) ones at Target and Walgreens. I then put my goal list, vision board, prayer list, picture of Christ, etc, etc. Just make it your own. Make it fun and personal. If you don’t think you’d ever use a planner make sure to place your goals somewhere were you will see it OFTEN, if not daily.
+ Read my patriarchal blessing and look for qualities I need to start developing or things I could start working on.
+ Make a new vision board. Seriously I hope everyone has a vision board with picture of things and goals you want to reach or do in your life. If you need inspiration check PINTEREST! There are so many ways to them unique and personal but I love to use http://picmonkey.com and do a collage so I can print it out and put it in multiple spots like my closet and my planner.
Happy New Years EVE!
I am kind of laughing at the topic right now because for the life of me I don’t remember writing it as an option…defiantly meant to be I guess. Anyway here are five easy ways to improve your life today:
- Have a book and read it! Get off social media and read! Reading is not only good for your brain but it helps you relive stress and is a great way to “escape.”
- I am going to combine the next two because they go hand in hand…read your scriptures and say your prayers! (Bet you didn’t guess that hahah!) I can’t tell you how different my days are without scripture study and prayer. This one will improve your life in so many areas!!
- Keep your room/space clean. I feel like my room represents my life haha. If my room is messy I feel messy. If its unorganized than I feel very unorganized. Take 5 minutes everyday and tidy up your area. Having a clean space is so important.
- Drink lots of water! Stay hydrated my friends!
- Paint your nails. I can’t tell how much better I feel when my nails are painted and neat. Take sometime to pamper yourself and give yourself a mani or pedi.
Now these are just 5 I came up with but there are so many more little points that can help someone improve their own life so comment your “life tips” below!
CHALLENGE: Take at least one of these “life tips” and apply it in your life!
Have a great Monday!!